Thursday, June 4, 2009

What's for dinner? Ummm...food!

You might think it's really quite sad but I don't feel bad about it...at least not bad enough to do anything about it. Sometimes I see all these wonderful menu plans and such but it's so limiting. I want variety! I want what I want, when I feel like eating it. Sure, you can plan 7 entree's and eat them when you want but in my opinion it's still not all out freedom!

There's nothing like going into the kitchen thinking, 'Wow, I'm so blessed with a freezer and pantry full of food, what should I create for my family tonight?!' And, this is how the above pictured dish came about.

I put 4 chicken thighs into the crock pot with a little all purpose seasoning this morning with no clue to what I'd create (see notes).

1 large can diced tomatoes, slightly drained
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups)
1 6 oz can diced green chilies
2 cans cream soup (I use a homemade equivalent)
2 TB Taco seasoning (1 pkg)
4 cups cooked rice (I used leftover wild rice)
2-3 chicken thighs or breasts, cooked and roughly shredded

When using a homemade equivalent cream soup you must mix this up first in a deep skillet or just dump you cans undiluted in and stir on med. high heat. Once warmed, add the beans, chilis, and seasoning. Simmer about 5 minutes and then stir in the rice and chicken. Taste test and adjust seasonings to taste. Heat through and serve.

Optional: Add in 1 cup frozen corn (when adding the beans).
Top with shredded cheese or a dollop of sour cream to each bowl.

Notes: Save the chicken broth out of your crock pot for later use. I only used two thighs so I have two left to freeze for later use.

Best part? It's quick, it's easy, it's healthy and it's frugal! Any complaints? ;) Let me know how your family likes this.

No comments:

Post a Comment