More-With-Less is one of my favorite cookbooks! It focuses on eating healthier and being good to our planet with lots of frugal from scratch recipes. I use the recipes as a base and be creative adding flavors and spices as desired. Here's one I tried today.
Cream together:
1/2 cup shortening (I used softened butter)
1 c. peanut butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg (I used the flax replacement*)
Add to creamed mixture:
1 c. wheat germ
2 tsp. vanilla
6 TB water
Combine and add:
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour (I used white wheat)
1 c. dry milk solids (I omitted this and added a bit more flour)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
Roll into balls and flatten with fork in criss cross pattern. Bake at 375* for 8-10 minutes.
These aren't the kind of cookies you take to a potluck where everyone is used to eating store bought processed, high fructose corn syrup laden junk. These taste healthy, aren't very sweet and are a wonderful snack or even breakfast with a tall glass of ice cold raw milk and a piece of fruit.
*2 Tablespoons ground flax seeds & 3 Tablespoons water -mixed well



I'm going to try these! I recently got a copy of More With Less at a library book sale for $1. I was happy dancing the rest of the day! I like the cookies that taste 'healthy', but once I sent a batch of peanut butter whole wheat cookies (where I just substituted from my cookbook recipe) to work with hubby, and they didn't go over so great. On the other hand, Kitteninhat really likes the more 'natural' ones! :)
ReplyDelete