So, without further ado, here's what you'll need:
8 cups of whole milk
1/2 cup plain yogurt with live cultures (or the freeze dried starter)
A thick bath towel
Whisk
Small glass or metal bowl
Containers to store your yogurt
And of course your slow cooker (4 quart or larger if doubling the recipe)
Directions:
- Pour the milk into your crock pot, cover and heat on low for 2 1/2 hours.
- Unplug your crock pot. Without removing the lid, let it sit for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, remove 2 cups of the warm milk and put into your small bowl. Whisk in the 1/2 cup of yogurt or yogurt starter until well blended.
- Pour the mixture back into the crock pot and mix well.
- Put the lid back on your crock pot, and keeping it unplugged, wrap the heavy bath towel around the crock. Let incubate for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, your yogurt will have thickened.
- Pour into glass jars or plastic bowls and chill.
Yea! You did it! Now for the fun part. Add your favorite mix-ins and enjoy!
Here's some of our favorites:
Honey and sunflower seeds
Fresh or frozen fruit
Granola and blueberries w/ toasted almonds
Remember my 'Little to Big Blueberry Parfait'?
You should try it and let me know what you think!
NOTE: Homemade yogurt isn't nearly as thick as store bought because it doesn't have added gelatin or any thickening agents.



I'm trying this out today. I'll let ya know how it turns out! thanks for the recipe :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you posted this; I was going to email you and ask you about making homemade kefir/yogurt. Can I do this recipe but replace the yogurt starter with some plain kefir instead? I don't care if it comes out with a consistency like kefir cuz we just use it for smoothies and cereal anyway. How long will it keep in the refrigerator?
ReplyDelete