Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Life Skills 101

I believe ALL children should help out around the house. They live there, they make messes, they should help with the housework. It teaches them responsibility and gives them a sense of accomplishment when completed.

Here's a neat list of age appropriate chores.

I personally do not think children should be compensated with money for their daily household chores but that's completely up to the individual family. I believe children should have the opportunity to do extra chores that result in a reward whether monetary, a special outing or treat of their liking.

I also believe children should be exposed to a variety of household tasks not based on their gender. Children can and should learn how to do a wide array of tasks. For example, boys should learn how to do laundry, mending and cooking while girls should be taught to change the oil or tire on the car, repair various household items and work in the yard. I know this is not as big of an issue as it was in the past but still feel it is worthy of mentioning.

What kind of things do you know how to do that you are grateful you learned? What do you wish you had learned? Does/did this have an effect on what you are training or trained your children in?

No comments:

Post a Comment