So, we've all noticed it and I want to know what you are doing differently. Are you eating the higher cost and continuing to buy what you've always bought? Here's what I'm doing. No, it's not couponing! ;) I tried that...too time consuming for me. Menu planning makes a HUGE difference. I write out a list of entrees I will prepare for the next two weeks (hubby gets paid bi-weekly) and then the items I will need for each of those dishes...then I think about lunch. Usually simple things like fried rice, leftovers, sandwich, fruit/veggie sticks and cheese, etc. For breakfast we do not buy commercial cereals so I either make oatmeal w/ honey, butter, and milk or with shredded apple and cinnamon, or eggs and toast, or muffins and a banana with a glass of our good, fresh, dairy milk. Snacks include carrot/celery sticks with a boiled egg, applesauce and a chunk of cheese, or a leftover muffin and 1/2 of a banana. And, don't forget about popcorn (cheap and quick)!
I save on produce by browsing the shopping fliers that come in the mail and circling what I will need for the next two weeks. I compare the price at Walmart and get the lower price. I save TONS on fresh produce this way. I usually buy romaine lettuce, carrots, celery, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, potatoes, apples and bananas fresh. Everything else I buy frozen: broccoli, cauliflower, blueberries, strawberries, carrots, green beans, corn and stir fry mixes.
Meat is a huge chunk in the budget if you're not careful. I buy the large packages of ground beef and separate into smaller portions. For 1 1/2 lbs pasta and 2 cans sauce, I only use 1/2 - 3/4 lb ground beef. You won't miss it! When making tacos or burritos add a can (or better yet your own cooked) beans to the mix. We love beef/corn/black bean tacos and burritos. Use chicken if you'd prefer. When it comes to chicken I think I get the most out of buying boneless, skinless breasts or thighs, preferably on sale (again, watch those grocer ads). Brown rice, 1/2 lb. frozen broccoli, cheesy white sauce, and 1/2-3/4 lb boneless meat cut up in small chunks goes a long way. If I make a large portion I take out half and store before adding the broccoli...reheated broccoli is just yucko to me.
Make more stuff from scratch!!!!! You can find recipes for everything including ranch, taco, and italian seasoning packs to homemade cream soup recipes. They are easy to make, cost TONS less and taste WONDERFUL. I promise, I've been using them for years! Go to www.hillbillyhousewife.com for some wonderful tips/recipes.
Lastly, Be Prepared!! Brown 5 lbs of hamburger with onions, bell pepper, and garlic. Then, store in freezer bags. This is perfect and fast for pasta dishes like spaghetti. Another plus, less mess! You can grill a bunch of chicken and store in freezer bags. I like to boil large amounts of chicken, shred some/cut the rest in chunks and have it readily available like I do with the ground hamburger. It cuts a lot of time and mess from your prep at 5'o clock when you would rather just go and eat that expensive, not so healthy meal out. Also, when you find those expensive red bell peppers for 2/$1 (normally $2/pepper) buy a bunch, cut into slices and freeze. They are great in stir fry, green beans, and fajitas.
Well, I have one last thing to add. Quit buying those nasty, sugar filled boxes of nutrition lacking substances!!!! They are super expensive and are horrible for your body. You will drop hundreds of dollars off your yearly grocery bill by following this one step. Above I gave examples of what we have for snacks...air popped popcorn, boiled eggs, veggie sticks, fresh fruit, tortilla chips (3 ingredients: corn, salt, oil)...ANY thing besides preservative filled packaged items. I'm through with that now, you still love me, right?!
Okay, so now you have it! Some of the most effective and easy things I do to keep my budget low when feeding a family of 6. I would LOVE to hear what you do so leave me a comment.
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Great ideas! I have found that cooking double not only helps the grocery budget, but electricity as well. One prep, two meals is simple and much faster than eating out!
ReplyDeleteexcellent ideas and great advise. I just wanted to say thank you for popping by my blog and adding me to your list of blogs that you are following.
ReplyDeleteI have a lot of good cheap recipes on my blog, including the best ever carrot soup recipe that even the kids will enjoy.
Gill in Canada
After doing financial peace university by Dave Ramsey. He gave us the idea of E-Mealz.com. You have to check it out. It is amazing and has saved me time and money for my family. They do all the work for you. Any way I could go on and on about it. Check it out. www.emealz.com
ReplyDelete